Vacuum-assisted injection technology for refrigerators production provides cost-effective eco-design and superior energy savings
Cannon V.A.I. technology is a vacuum-assisted injection method specifically developed for the production of white cold appliances. The reduced pressure applied into the cavity during the injection and the expansion of the foam facilitates the filling of the cabinet, providing substantial benefits:
- optimized distribution of foam density throughout the entire cabinet.
- the polymerization time per foaming station has been cut nearly in half due to the possibility of using high reactivity formulations providing a significantly higher productivity.
- reduced plant's floor space in half when using the new “twin” foaming fixture - the RotoJig – specifically conceived for this technology.
V.A.I. – Main Advantages
Several innovative features provide a number of interesting advantages:
- Faster demoulding time, up to 50% less than with conventional foams
- The system is suitable for difficult cabinet geometries: even the combined use of VIP (Vacuum Insulated Panels) is possible, since the foam filling operation is much easier
- k-factor values of the foamed refrigerators are very low, due to the finer cell structure and the even distribution of densities.
Since 2006 Cannon has filed four international patents related to this process – two of them are published.
DOW – PASCAL
Within the Dow-Cannon partnership agreement, Dow made a fundamental R&D work that led to the development of a completely new series of PU systems that are the core of the Dow Pascal TM technology which, in essence, combine the application of lower in-mould pressure to achieve maximum PU foam insulation and process performance. Lower in-mould pressure results in easier flow - due to the resulting lower cavity's back-pressure - and better demoulding time, due to the lower foam pressure in-mould at the time of demoulding the units.
Improved flow gives options for improving foam k-factor hence cabinet's energy consumption using fast reactive PU foam systems without penalties on density and demoulding as it happens with the conventional foaming process.